Caitlyn Jenner and the Problem with Women





Wouldn't you know, my first skiff trip of the season out at fishcamp this week and I had to be rescued? Yup. I was rescued by first one fisherman, who very kindly came alongside my drifting skiff asking if I needed any help. Which of course I did. The 60 horse outboard died on my trip to the village, 7 water miles away. The weather and sea were calm, so I wasn’t worried. Someone would come by eventually. He stepped into my skiff manfully and tried to start the beast but couldn’t (whew! Saving my female pride). There was nothing to do but tow me to Larsen Bay. Along the way, his brother appeared in another skiff. He passed me onto his brother, who tried to start the beast again---and couldn’t.  So brother #2 kindly finished the towing job and left me tied up at a dock in Larsen Bay to wait for another rescue (by my son.)



Fellow fishermen. Bless them. I love men. I love chivalry and rescues from men, though I don’t seek out rescue and I prefer to do things myself. It’s taken me a long time to figure out how to be a woman in Alaska, and it includes a constant dynamic of dependence and independence.  Because of this, I think about gender a lot, for more reasons than I can say.  So forgive me for bringing up old news, but I have to write about Caitlyn Jenner. (Stay tuned for a longer piece elsewhere.)

Like you, I gaped at the photos of Jenner now gone female. I was astounded at a number of things, including all he has accomplished in becoming the woman he has longed to be. He no longer has to hide and silence his lifelong secret. Like many other viewers of the Diane Sawyer interview, I felt great sympathy as he described the experience of living in a man’s body with “a woman’s soul.” And then Caitlyn emerged. Through his media appearances, he has vaulted once more onto the world stage, rescuing his flagging career as a reality “star” and assuring him a dual place in history, first as a man and now as a woman. He will be paying off far more than his mortgage. He has already expressed the freedom he feels. His children are giving him a second chance (or perhaps a 100th chance?) hoping their father will be a better parent now that he’s a woman.  I hope too.  And I hope he can be a better woman than most of us.




But I’m not sure he can. The Vanity Fair shoot made it clear that it’s not enough for him to be a woman in the ordinary way of women, transgender or otherwise, who simply go about their lives as human beings, loving their families, doing their jobs. Bruce desires to be another kind of woman, an alluring, sex-bomb celebrity of a woman, with long lean legs, spilling over breasts, and a coy come-hither smile to the millions who gaze in wonder and shock at his transformation. (And I am guessing this is likely not a one-shot apparition given her upcoming show, which means much more coverage and spillage is sure to come.)







The particular kind of woman Jenner has debuted has clearly taken some serious notes from the Kardashians, it appears, who are experts at commodifying themselves as celebrities who are famous for their beauty and fame. It was stepdaughter Kloe who, upon hearing the news of his upcoming transition, advised him, “Girl, you gotta rock it and you gotta look good. You’re representing the family”.  Bruce Jenner has learned well.







And I wonder, as Caitlyn settles into her new increasingly female body, if she knows the not-so-secret dirty secret about women: most women are at war with their bodies. I wonder if the female hormones Jenner has taken and is taking still will deliver the news most of us have receive about ourselves when we look in the mirror: we are fat, flawed, flabby, wrinkled, cellulited, sagging, shapeless sorry excuses for the female sex. Even those of us who resist a gnostic mind-and-body division hear the same news.




      And who is more at war with their bodies than female celebrities? And, among female celebrities, what group suffers the most from disappointment of the flesh?





Jenner has chosen the very hardest kind of woman to become and the hardest to maintain: the aging 65 year old glamorous reality-TV celebrity woman. It’s a tough gig to start and a tough gig to maintain, requiring personal chefs, personal trainers, expert photographers and makeup artists, the most expensive hair dressers . . .  Time will have its way with Jenner, as it does with all of us. And the cutthroat reality show biz requires its own pound of flesh---regular doses of conflict and sensation, which she will have to deliver to hold our attention. Caitlyn Jenner can never be “us” if she wants to keep her show. She will have to be that kind of woman. I won’t be watching. Not because Jenner is a transgendered woman, but because of Jenner’s genre of woman.







I really do wish Jenner well. But I am doubtful of the whole venture. I am leery of any kind of life lived for the cameras. We women need more role models for sure. Caitlyn Jenner won’t be one. We need to see strong gracious women who love powerfully, who are living the gospel inside out, from their feet to their hands to their heads to their hearts. Who are truly living whole, beautiful lives. Women so in love with God and the people around them they look in the mirror and see-----someone imperfect, someone aging, but someone fully loved just as they are. And the rest of us will see a woman who looks more and more like him, like Jesus Christ himself.







This is my hope, that whoever we are, male or female, or uncertain or part of both, that we will be known not for our glammed-up image, but for our mercy, for our wisdom, our kindness, our humility, our grace, and our love. If we allow the Holy Spirit to do this in us, we will be exactly who we were created to be, 




inside and out.




























12 comments:

  1. That was truly one of the best things I've read on this topic. Very excellent perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's not all I need to say, but it's a start! Thanks so much for reading!!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Leslie. Your perspective about this is right on. In all the media buzz about the transformation, there's not enough being said about what it really means to be a woman. I have to admit that I am really struggling with this issue. While I totally want to have grace for Bruce (sorry--can't do it) because he clearly has had a deep-seated struggle and inner agony for a long time, I can't bring myself to say that this was a "good" choice -- either for Bruce in the long run or for us in the broader sense of the culture we're building and passing on. In reading about this, I came across another phenomenon called Body Integrity Identity Disorder where people feel that an arm or a leg doesn't really belong to their body and seek to have a fully-functioning limb amputated or to have themselves paralyzed by spinal cord severing. Logically, their psychological pain is no different than Bruce's, but the most natural human reaction to a person wanting to have an arm cut off is to say, "No! Don't do that to yourself! Let's try to help you, help ease your pain in a different way." I don't see it as uncompassionate to say the same to Bruce. I don't mean that we needs laws against transgenderism or picket lines or any other hateful protest. I just mean that I can't celebrate it, say it's ok for him if he feels like a woman, or call it 'progress.' Bruce has been lauded for his courage. While it is true that it did take a measure of courage to transgender himself, it also takes a measure of 'courage' for a person to throw himself off a cliff. I hope -- and pray -- for Bruce that he hasn't thrown himself off a different type of cliff. As you rightly point out, the road ahead is fraught with reality tv and real life dangers for Jenner. Your point about the beauty of our souls being most important is T.R.U.E. I hope Bruce finds his ... even as I am seeking the sanctification and beautification of my own soul with God's grace. Thanks for your words that are helping us all in seeking what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, what a marvelous parallel---Body Integrity I.D.. Wow, it's frightening how capably our brains court dysfunction! (I am not lauding Jenner---I hope my readers will see a satirical tongue-in-cheek there . .. ). I do have more to say on this. WIll be writing a piece for CT i the next day or two. Stay tuned! BUt thanks so much for the excellent points you raise!!

      Delete
  3. Yes. This is the perspective that has been missing. And I couldn't place my finger on it until reading your insight. Thank you. Not to mention that your last pictures made me well with tears at the beauty and struggle of being a real woman, not the kind plastered all over the media, the one Caitlyn Jenner is trying to chase. How awful for her. And what a beautiful reminder for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shari, thank you! There's so much more to be said, and I Hope to take another stab at this today and tomorrow for another article, but I had to say this. Yes, how can we be REAL women?? Not like this.

      Delete
  4. We weren't meant for fame, not as the world gives. It won't last, and there's the crushing disappointment of it all. Only Christ lasts! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, interesting take on this whole conundrum.... I couldn't help wondering in this entire process if the Kardashian influence--girls always in the limelight, women at the forefront, glamour, glamour, glamour--isn't what pushed Jenner over the edge, wanting to be the center of attention. "Look at the way the world looks at these women. I wanna be like that."
    We'll never know. May God bring grace and a gentle friend to Jenner when he needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody, I've thought the same. Not to discount the dystonia, which is likely real, but I wonder if part of this is the desire to be the red-carpet center of attention. And who gets this kind of idolizing media attention? Women. Thank you!!

      Delete
  6. Oh, that picture of Luci Shaw! Yes, this is the kind of woman I long to be -- not because she is a famous and accomplished poet, but because she is at home inside her own skin and has found a way to create beauty and to add to the conversation in the wider world at the age of . . . 86? 87? "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing (whoa, is it ever!), but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Luci Shaw is my hero as well. SHe radiates beauty and grace. I have a long way to go be happy in my own skin, but I'm thankful for women like her who show the way!!

      Delete
  7. Splendidly written, Leslie. You have nailed it, and probably not only for Bruce/Caitlyn but for most who attempt to reconfigure a body in which every cell carries the stamp of its genetic gender. For those already disposed to self-harm, such surgeries co-operate in a profound form of abuse, in my opinion. The discomfort in the skin that besets women due to their social objectification likely is the same sort of discomfort in his skin that motivated Bruce and that motivates more men than care to acknowledge it to deny spiritual manhood. While I point to the growing knowledge of physiological factors (some of which could be treated) in homosexuality and other forms of identity disorder, you have emphasized social factors that always bear on an individual's predicaments. In this very public example you so clearly state those social influences that your insights should be broadcast far and wide. The image of personhood you uphold that Caitlyn tragically is missing is strong, encompassing, and liberating.

    ReplyDelete