10 Reasons You Can’t Forgive Your Father this Father's Day & 1 Reason You Can




1.    Because of all he’s done---or failed to do---in your life.
You know: the deceit, the absences, the excuses, the abuse, the work-obsession, the affairs, the abandonment, the drinking. All the ways he didn’t father-love you.

2.    Because if you forgive him, he’ll get away with what he did. You’ll unbalance the scales of karma and give him what he doesn’t deserve. Justice is mocked.

3.    You don’t want him back in your life. You’re happier without him. If you forgive him, that means reconciling with him and letting his poison back in your life.




4.    He’ll never confess or repent or ask for forgiveness. He’s clueless about what he did when you were growing up, or he simply doesn’t care. Why forgive someone who doesn’t even know he’s guilty?

5.    You don’t care about the past anymore. Your life is steaming ahead in spite of your father and your energy is better spent looking ahead than behind.

6.    He’ll never change. Nothing can penetrate his iron heart, so there’s no point of even trying.



7.    He’s happy just as he is. He likes himself and he likes his pathetic life, such as it is. Why intrude upon a man when he’s living just as he wants?

8.    You’re happy just as you are. You’ve constructed a reasonably good life, thank you very much, and it’s taken a long time, so leave it alone. Don’t upset what’s finally working.

9.    Your father doesn’t care about you; why should you care about him? Why give to him what he never gave to you?


10.   You want him to suffer the consequences of his own miserable choices. He’s cut everyone off from his life. No one loves him---good. Let him enjoy exactly what he’s earned.






I know. I felt many of these as well. But I can't end there. Neither can you. Here it is. And maybe you know it, but remember again,


1 Reason You CAN Forgive Your Father


Because God has forgiven you. If you have asked him for forgiveness, and follow after Christ instead of yourself (or someone else)----all your crimes and misdemeanors, your selfishness, small mindedness, deceit, pride, all the ways you have brought small deaths to others in moments large and small . . . . 



You know how long your list. I know how long my list. But Gone. All of it---all that crud, wiped away.

You’re CLEAN! Perfect, righteous, holy in His sight. When you wake up in the morning, remember---You’re free!! Completely utterly free from the weight of your debts against a holy God.




It feels really  good. But that freedom is not just for you. Not just for you to run away from the cross free, happy, unburdened to live your own happy life.

The freedom and mercy you’ve received is exactly for this: It’s for others. For all those mean, miserable, lonely, hurting, prideful, selfish people who were just like you: guilty before a holy God.

It’s for your father. It’s for your mother. It’s for those who have hurt you, abandoned you, abused you, ignored you. THEY are the ones who need forgiveness. THEY are the very ones who need mercy now. This is what they need  most in the world, though they do not even know it.




But you do. Christ has done this for you so you can do this for others: Pass it on.

Pass on the absurd mercy and outrageous love God has poured out on you to those who least deserve it.

This is the gospel. This brings the kingdom of God among us. This brings the glory of God to our table. This is Christ’s peace. This is how we begin to heal the wounds of the world.

Right here, in our own families. Where it is hardest. To those who most need it. To those who least deserve it.

Where it is most needed.

Right here. Your father.



Can you do it? Can you let go of his debts and sins against you, and turn them over to God?

Can you let God take care of justice and fairness and equity?

Can you extend God’s kindness and mercy to him, expecting nothing in return?

Can you treat him as God sees him---as someone precious, made in the image of God, and deserving of forgiveness?



You can.

I did.

God did this in me and for me and for my father. And it was beautiful. Forgiveness. Reconciliation. Even to a father who was able to love

Only a little. Just a little.

But I am SO loved by God, I could love him a LOT.

This is more than possible for you, this day, this week, this month.








Father’s Day is coming. This can be the best Father’s Day ever----with a little forgiveness.




                       ******************************

Need some help with this? May I send you a book (Forgiving Our Fathers and Mothers: Finding Freedom From Hate and Hurt) I can send a book to 6 people (Wish I could send to 100!!)  If you would share this message of hope on your social networks and let me know here, (along with your email), I’ll draw 6 names and get you the book asap. 




Thank you! Praying for us all, that the beautiful aroma of the lovely Christ will waft through our hearts, through our families especially on Father’s Day weekend.















14 comments:

  1. I have my own copy, but I would donate to a ministry for women coming out of sex trafficking (with the organization's permission, of course). http://www.wingsofrefuge.net/
    wingsofrefuge dot ia at gmail dot com
    I shared on FB,Twitter, and Google+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Constance, I'll definitely send you one. So happy to contribute. Maybe email me your address?? (leslieleylandfields@gmail.com)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Leslie! I've sent the address for Wings of Refuge to your gmail address.

      Delete
  2. My father did things to me that fathers shouldn't do to their daughters, and my mom died hating him for her own reasons, (I never told her what happened) and he married a hateful woman a few months later. I did not speak to him for 10 years, and was strained and "polite" (and very condescending) with him for another 10 years. But a couple of years ago, I saw my dad through different eyes, not as the monster he had always been to me, but as the frail old man he had become. God melted my heart and all the resentment went with it. I talk with my dad on the phone and see him as often as I can (he's several hours away). When I was accepted into the Bachelor's program at seminary, he told me he was proud of me. That meant the world to me. I'm grateful for God's forgiveness that enabled me to forgive my dad. I didn't make what he did go away, but I'm not so full of anger and bitterness toward him anymore. I pray others can find the strength to forgive, it's the best kind of freedom. Thanks Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so moved by your story. Thank you for sharing it. Some real parallels to mine. And I can just imagine that moment of affirmation, hearing from him that he was proud of you!! (My father told me one time, in a strange encounter, that he thought I was "amazing." I hold onto that one moment of affirmation.) So true----Our forgiveness does not alter the past, but it does alter how we interpret and remember the past. SO grateful for what GOd has done in your life----and so thankful for sharing it here. I know it will bless many.

      Delete
  3. This is excellent, especially as I deal with my aging father. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Amy. And blessings as you pour out mercy upon him!!

      Delete
  4. My dad died before he knew I forgave him. Don't know if it would have made a difference....but it is part of why I appreciated your article. So much truth. Looking forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. But it has made a difference for you, I am sure! ANd forgiveness can quiet those voices that still haunt us. Blessings to you! Leslie

      Delete
  5. I always think I have no forgiveness work left to do, but reading this has shown me I have. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome. Yes, it does not end, but neither do Christ's mercies (thank God!)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this article, your blog has ministered to my heart ! I shared on my Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People with daddy issues should read this. So touching.

    ReplyDelete