The Worst Oscar Gowns Ever+A Theology of Fashion?






I’ll miss the Oscars Sunday night. Drat. I’ll be at Bible study, probably feeling spiritually superior, but the truth is, I’ll miss that fascinating parade of beauty, fashion, and faux pas.  

Fashion is a bit of a mystery to me---until I see UGLY, and then I feel so fashion-wise I want to start a line of clothing and offer free makeovers. I'm taking a risk here. I don’t know what your fashion IQ is, (or what your fashion I-Care is), or if you have any interest in the Oscars at all. And in case you're unmoved, or one of the gentlemen who grace my pages, I want to lure you onward with the promise of theology. I'm going to attempt a theology of fashion, which sounds even to me right now, like something of a circus act. 

Because, in truth, I am exhausted. I've been traveling for a week, speaking at a conference, at a university, doing lots of radio, and writing as I go. It has been exhilarating--and I'm so tired I must laugh. Maybe you too? 

So on we go to the entertainment. Which is provided not just by the movies, but the adornment of all those who attend and present at the ceremony. Out of a bevy of possible mishaps and grotesqueries, let me tell you my criteria for this Hall of Infamy. I have carefully chosen only those that made me laugh out loud. I wish you the same. (And please know, I am not sounding a deep, cruel laugh. More like a delighted guffaw. "Really? A highly paid famous stylist thought that was a good idea? Also remember how tired I am . ....)  













































(Yes, that is a swan draped around her neck. And Whoopi, I felt surprised, too, when I saw this  .. . ummm, contraption.)

What's most surprising and fun is that all of the women (except for the poor tutu woman) appear oblivious to how silly (or hideous) their outfits really are.  

And here begins my own unexpected theology. Unexpected because these images have taken me somewhere I didn't anticipate.  I don't love their dresses, but I love the women's joy and exuberance in their attire. We have missed this. Entirely. Exuberance is beautiful and contagious and even more fashionable than, well, fashion. May I say this? Dear women and men of God, why don't we take more joy in the delicious colors and fabrics and swing and fall and texture and hue of our clothing? Why do we all dress like sparrows, as if cardinals, wood ducks, and paradise tanagers didn't exist? Not even to mention peacocks (Whoopi's dress?)  By some scientists' estimates,  there are 2,280,000 discernible colors colors shimmering around us. 








                      (photo credit: Vinny Porcella)


















                                                                                                                                 
And what do I keep buying and wearing?? Black. 
We are too afraid of beauty, too somber in our dress.
Does not even a tree teach us the love of God for brilliant whimsical beauty?  

                           (thisoldhouse.com)

       

And who has not seen a hill on fire from a neon sky? 









                                                       








And who has not seen the glamorous dresses in our back fields?




We waste too much beauty, and hide ourselves under the veil of modesty, missing what color and joy and exuberance we might bring into a dark house, into a sad room, into a long winter. God is a just and holy God, and God is maker of all that is beautiful and bright and light and alive.  

Does He not delight in his own dappled creation--and can we not be part of this beauty-spotted world? 


"Glory to God for dappled things,
        for skies of couple-color 
   and rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim.

For all dresses counter, original, spare, strange;
   Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
For all our attire---swift, slow; sweet, sour;
    adazzle, dim;
Let us laugh and sally forth wrapped in God's sizzling          
    hues----
Praise Him!  And wear a rainbow whenever you can!

With Joy.





16 comments:

  1. Lesile...oh my...you leave me a bit speechless :) I love where His Spirit took you...and therefore your readers...yes..yes...not drab colors but all the beautiful colors of Him...His creation does declare His glory...why don’t we? I don’t know if you remember the fashion tool years ago...”color me beautiful”...well let’s let Him...the God of all... color us beautiful and go out and wear rainbows indeed!!! thanks and I will look at fashion...even the outlandish with new eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro---yes, I never quite know where a subject or experience will take me, but I was struck with my own fall back to wearing black. I was in an emergency situation 2 days ago and had to buy a new dress. What color was it? Black. (As if I don't own enough black already!) So--this was to me as much as to everyone else!

      Delete
  2. Those were some crazy outfits, but I will be honest, I LOVED Cher's outfit. LOL I know. . . call me crazy, but if I had that body, I would wear that outfit. The others were a bit over the crazy top. I do love the colors of GOD's nature. . . so vibrant and HAPPY!! Not only will I take the time, to STOP and take in nature, I will look at fashion in a new light. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra---I DO love color!! But don't play with it enough myself. I'll be wrapped in a rainbow sherbet dress or scarf here soon!

      Delete
  3. I love watching the good, the bad and the absurd red carpet fashions. And your observations were spot on. I would be careful posting the pictures of those beautiful little birds, however, as some socialite/celebrity might turn them into a boa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winn!! You made me laugh. So true. Lots of Cruella's out there!

      Delete
  4. I started reading this in my phone but as soon as I saw Cher, I knew I needed a bigger screen. Will be back when I'm home
    Cathy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely loved this....at first I was like-what in the world is she thinking...Oscars/ fashion/ridiculous...so shallow...and so on....but yeah...I needed to laugh and of course that just came and came....oh my word. BUT then you "got me"....what a truly wonderful way to turn this into color and creation and God's love of beauty, design in all his creation. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri! Me, shallow?? Sure!! We always start in the shallows before we wade out into the depths. Thanks for sticking with me!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie...absolutely love your thoughts...and yes, I too, dress in dark colors...b/c someone told me it was more slimming...I hope to look as if I only need to loose 90 pounds rather than 100 ;)
    And I am dying laughing for the comment above mine; apparently, this person thinks you sell dresses but doesn't know which size to purchase...hahaha
    Cathy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed!! I just deleted that comment. I should have left it up .... Oh well. Glad for the space to laugh! Thanks for joining me, Cathy! Nothing like a shared guffaw!!

      Delete
  9. I think the swan dress is very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed it is! The problem is, it looks like a dead swan! It's poor neck is broken around her neck! But yes, we could do a lot worse than imitating birds . ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well now, after reading this I will no longer think of my Dad's comparison of me to a peacock as an insult! I DO love color and strutting my stuff! Very fun post!

    ReplyDelete