The Trouble with Potlucks and The Casserole Rapture


In honor of the Homer Women's Conference, where I am speaking this weekend, I'm taking us back to the Potluck--where we experience the joys of the Casserole Rapture,  of the Soup Left Behind,  and where we are reminded again of what makes food----Holy. 







I don’t  know how you feel about potlucks, particularly church potlucks. I’m not feeling exuberant about them right now.  In fact, I’m licking my wounds, with a little salt and pepper at this moment. I shouldn’t be doing this, though--- it may ruin my appetite for the three gallons of soup no one ate a potluck this week. 




It was good soup, too. Chicken tortilla, with chili peppers, corn, black beans, tomatoes and the best of all spices, cumin. Served with tortilla strips and sour cream, both of which were demolished, but the soup? Barely touched. And because my own family likes it so well, I fixed three times the usual potluck amount so we could have a meal at home out of it as well. We’ll be eating it for a month, assuring its instant drop to the last-meal-I-ever-want-to-eat-again list.   

This is the trouble with potlucks. I hate it when my food isn’t eaten.  I feel rejected. I question my worth. I question my taste. I know I’m not strange or unusual. No one wants their soup or their casserole Left Behind at a church potluck. It’s the culinary equivalent of missing the Rapture.  



We all know the triumph of the disappeared casserole, when our enchiladas or the fried meat nuggets we picked up on the way to church fly off the table  before the tuna noodle bake or the macaroni salad is even touched.  




But---The Soup Left Behind . . .. 

(Not enough faith? Not enough pepper? What’s the missing ingredient?)

Perhaps I’m being too sensitive. I do maintain, however, that cooking and eating shouldn’t be competitive. Food shows don’t help a bit. All the Frantic Chef shows have turned cooking into an emergency, resolved only by tense music and the flashing of expensive knives by the most creative cutthroats to don an apron. 


              


In the church, we are a little more relaxed,  resolved to live by grace, but grace doesn’t always extend from our faith to our taste buds. Neither does it always extend the long full length of the potluck tables. (Frankly, all grace aside for the moment, some people are terrible cooks, and they bring terrible food. I won’t name any of those so-called foods [though some of them begin with the word “jello” and some include the words "potato chips"],










but  this is clearly the “luck” part of the pot. The vast offerings, more food than we can possibly eat, demand hard choices: Spaghetti pie or Green bean casserole? Potato-weiner bake or broccoli cheeze-whiz casserole? Some we lower our paper plate for enthusiastically; others we lift it just imperceptively higher, meaning, “Are you kidding me? I would never eat that!)   




I wouldn’t fuss about this at all, but some of it matters. I think God cares a lot about food. And I’m quite sure our potluck days will not be over when this world flames out and the new heaven floats down to stay. I think we’ll be cooking in that bright heavenly city—which, I know, is dismaying to some. I say this not because I wish it so, but the prophet Zechariah ends his entire book (of mostly horrific coming destruction) with this stunning vision of heaven---which is all about the kitchen:    

On that day HOLY TO THE LORD will be inscribed on the bells of the horses, and the cooking pots in the LORD's house will be like the sacred bowls in front of the altar.  Every pot in Jerusalem and Judah will be holy to the LORD Almighty, and all who come to sacrifice will take some of the pots and cook in them.”


This is how holy heaven is: At the potlucks, every pot and pan and casserole dish will be holy to God--- and every food (Tuna casserole? Spaghetti pie?) made in it---will be holy to the Lord. 

Holy to the Lord.



And maybe there my soup will be eaten, down to the very last bean and spoon of broth! Nothing left over.  All eaten with gusto, requiring not even a sprinkling of salt or grace.




But then again, maybe not. Maybe heaven is the place where I will not care if my soup is gone in the flash of a ladle---or left behind.  Where I will not count my worth by others' appetites and tastes. Where I know so much  joy in the gathering and stirring and tasting and spicing and bringing and serving that I do not need others to confirm what I already know:  

This soup is made holy by my love for God and for his good, hungry people, and already, in the making of it, I am blessed.  Even, at times, enraptured.

We could be filled this way. 

Our food could be holy this way.

Our food will be holy this way,

Maybe it already is . . . .

  

27 comments:

  1. Oh, you have pushed a button here!! For those of us who work 'in the food world' the bar is set high at the potluck dinner, and people always have something to say about our contributions! It would never do for us to just bring green beans, or mac & cheese...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky----I wonder what denomination of church you attend? In Most of the churches I attended in my adult life, mac and cheese was a real staple, punctuated by occasional overcooked vegetables and the rare salad. I cared a lot when my children were small and I couldn't find much to feed them---but then again, GRACE. It's a lesson in grace and gratitude! (Could you remind me what you do in the "food world," Becky?)

      Delete
  2. Love it! We are having a potluck at church tomorrow night and I've already had the "What do we take?" discussion with my husband. I usually bow out of the "I'm the best cook" competition so I won't feel rejected. ;-) I know you will also appreciate the fact that if I want anything healthy to eat I must take it myself, so I usually fall back on the standby of a cut up fruit tray or a cut up veggie tray. However, in our current church, that will not be enough so I'll probably take p.b.&j. sandwiches. (At least I know the under 20 crowd will appreciate me!)
    Thanks for the comic relief and reminder that anything we serve unto the Lord is made holy by Him!
    http://inthemidstof.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I have been that person also who always brings a fruit or veggie tray for sure, and then whatever else I think is needed. One of my best potluck standbys has been baked potatoes, brought with a tray of butter, sour cream, chopped scallions and shredded cheese. That's always an easy hit. But yes---how astounding that our poor food can yet be made holy!

      Delete
  3. My 16yr. Daughter and I we just talking about this very thing....this not enough....comparison trap....I was telling her it follows us throughout life....and I listed all the ways it happens....but I left off the dreaded pot luck dish that doesn't get eaten...thanks for writing this...perfect timing for us....I read it to her...just gave our talk some levity....blessing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good!! So glad you and your daughter enjoyed this together. I actually had a hard week (there were 2 suicide attempts at our local high school, etc.) but when I sat down to write, this came out. I guess I needed the relief as well. (Thank you for reading!)

      Delete
  4. I always thought the joy of the potluck supper was eating all the decadent food I never make for myself or my family. I might take a bit of salad, but the rest of the plate is reserved for chips and dips, beanie weenies, unidentifiable blobs held together by cheesy goodness, and brownies slathered with chocolate frosting! I do pass by the Jello salads, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, how could I forget the beanie weenies?? Sounds like your potluck plate looks like the photo above. Well, bless you!! You're a better and braver woman than I am!! (I do, however, join you in the frosted brownies. Definitely a potluck must!)

      Delete
  5. Hubby & I skip the eating part of the potlucks-=high fat and/or fried food do me in. Literally. :)Another large part of skipping potlucks is knowing too much about how people live--you know, they don't think twice about their cats roaming their kitchen countertops. ;) So, we eat before we go and just visit.

    In the days of yore, before we quit eating at potlucks, I would get meat and cheese trays from the grocery store, along with buns, ketchup, and mustard. Ordering a couple of boxes of pizza from a pizza shop also worked well--it always disappeared, and helped out a local business at the same time. I have a love/hate relationship with cooking, so you can put me in the dismayed camp over Zechariah's statement. Who, I ask, is going to clean up all those pots? (cleaning up--the hate part of my relationship)

    I felt your pain when no one ate your soup, and chuckled over the humor. Competitive cooking shows are my comic relief. I can't take them seriously.

    I look forward to reading your weekly posts--they never disappoint. :)

    Cheryl Russell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cheryl! And you know, I never thought about that---WHO is going to clean all those holy pots we've made a mess in?? Well, maybe, being perfected, we'll all pitch in ... or trade places with the joyful doorkeeper (Isn't there a verse somewhere in the Psalms about that:"I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of the Lord than a pot-washer??) So appreciate you reading and writing back!

      Delete
  6. There must be something about potlucks and tortilla soup. I made a big crockpot of it for my first potluck as a married woman, and nobody but my sweet husband touched it. It's sad how terrible I felt about it. I loved this post (as I do every week's post!) and it has reminded me that I need to bump The Spirit of Food to a higher spot on my slow-moving reading list. Love you, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey---Really?? Oh, that makes me feel better! You know, it was Liz Cooksey's recipe, and it's a good one!! (I just look at your darling-sweet photos of your children. Oh my!! Terrific photography! You're VERY good, Lindsey!) Thanks for being here with me! Love you back, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very a propos post for me as I contemplate what to make for Sunday's potluck. Also makes me realize a benefit of being part of a poor international church: only about half of the eaters bring food to share so every casserole gets demolished. And by the way, your kitchen war post about sinkers vs floaters was revolutionary for me. I always wondered why other people's vegetables didn't sink to the bottom like mine did. You've sold me on becoming a floater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie! (Is that right?) So glad I could convert another salad maker to the "floater" side of the world! And it does sound like whatever you make for your church will be greatly appreciated! There's real satisfaction in that, in being part of filling those who "hunger and thirst." Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the casserole rapture. Yes, I know what you mean about your specially prepared casserole left behind. Now I go with packaged apple slices and cream cheese dip. Never any left!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Birdie, with my luck I would have half a bushel of apples left over--and then they all turn brown! But isn't it magic when we find the food that is taken, eaten, with nothing left behind every time??

    (Stay tuned for the soup recipe. I'll be posting it next time--due to completely unexpected popular demand!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I have also been left with over half my amazing whatever I took to pot luck also! What!
    So any hoot, now I take what we don't eat Box Foods ect.
    But I also do not like eating most of what others bring (not my cup of tea)
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, shoot! Maybe it was just TOO good!! But then, you DO get to eat more of your own good food. Well, potlucks stretch us for sure! And, all for a good "cause." (I just remembered that I left one pan of that chicken tortilla soup in the fridge before I left on this trip. Uh oh. Going to be nasty when I get back.)

      Delete
  13. You are HILARIOUS! I was laughing so hard as I read this piece because it's so TRUE! I had the exact same thing happen to me at the last pot luck I attended when I brought gallons of my family's favorite soup. It wasn't even touched. Well, given all the other usual pot-luck faves, like that AMAZING green bean casserole with the canned (and FRIED) onion rings--made HEALTHY with NON-FAT mushroom soup--well, I can understand why nobody wanted to venture out of their comfort zone and try a sip of homemade, all natural, savory soup! I can't wait to meet you! If you want, I would love to bring the limes and cumin and treat our group to my favorite fish recipe. I'm assuming there will be fish? LOL! Unless of course, you'd rather I bring some canned mushroom soup. I hear it goes well with everything . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do indeed bring the limes and cumin, Heather! In fact, that's a great idea, since we'll all be doing some cooking for one another---to have people bring whatever they'll need with them----OR, we can grab it all in Kodiak at the Safeway before we go?? Okay, well, I think I've learned my lesson now with your experience added to mine: people don 't want soup at a potluck!!

      Delete
  14. Well, I don't feel alone anymore and the next time I bring back home an almost full dish of food prepared for the potluck, I won't feel so bad. I would have gladly gobbled down your Chicken Tortilla Soup, especially on a cold day like we're having today across the midwest. Have a wonderful day, Leslie ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks LInda! I had fun with this one! Yes--it took FOREVER to eat up that soup! I wish you were here to help us eat it all!! It's cold here as well. I guess winter has decided to show up, eh?? (I like the cold weather myself. As long as sun is involved some of the time!) Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ann Voskamp linked to your site this week on her Saturday post and I saw this on the sidebar - hilarious, yet filled with nuggets to noodle over (haha). Your soup sounds delicious. As for the other less than savory potluck offerings? I have one rule: always make and take something that I like; it may be the only thing I'll like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, we DID finally eat all that soup, but it took awhile!! Yes, good rule. I always bring vegetables, because those are usually in short supply. Great to have you visit here!

      Delete
  17. Is it possible that soup just isn't a great idea, logistically, for a potluck? With all the pushing past chairs and kids running around it's hard to manage a bowl of hot soup - so I would have skipped it just because of the setting - it's not like you can just scoop a little bit next to the meatballs and green beans ...

    ReplyDelete