California Wildfires, Windmills+A Final End to The Mother's Day Wars



Don’t take away my flower. You know, the one you stand up for in church on  Mother’s Day when the pastor says, “Would all the mothers stand?” And a flower, usually a carnation or a tulip, is handed out by a frilly-dressed little girl or a cute little boy.

 

A Mother’s Day war is brewing over that flower.  There are women in every church whose gut aches and bleeds because they can’t stand to take a flower.  How can we keep hurting them, people are asking. Some are calling to end this barbaric, thoughtless practice.

But there are so many reasons I will fight to  defend that one tiny spray-painted carnation that I’ve stood to receive and then gripped all through church in my hot mother’s hands for the last 24 Mother’s Days. 



I was reminded of one reason this very last weekend, when I drove  with  my husband literally through wildfire for one of my sons.  He just graduated from college.
 We flew down from Kodiak to southern California--more than a little jaunt---for the weekend of celebrations. Two days before the ceremony a fire broke out next to Highway 101 in Camarillo Springs, and quickly spread. We set off for Santa Barbara early, knowing some of the highway had been closed.   






Our four hour drive turned to seven. We drove past three other fires, two of them right down to the highway we were driving on. We missed the baccalaureate. ( But not graduation)














But this is why I want my flower.  This is what mothers do. We drive through fire. Two mornings later, when I drove past windmills at 6:00 a.m. with theirs arms spinning already in the wind---we know that is us as well: 




women who   ceaselessly turn and spin and make energy and food and love out of storm and wind.  We light up houses. We fuel bodies and cars.  We go through fire, through flood, through famine and feast.

We go through years with so much emptying and spinning  and fueling, that one little flower placed in our hands can crumble us to pieces. 



But those firing shots at Mother’s Day in church are right: we are not the only ones who do this. Fathers sacrifice and uncles and friends and teachers and neighbors .  .. .   


And what of the mothers who have lost a child, who have had yet another miscarriage, who can’t get pregnant at all, whose son  has just gone to jail, whose daughter has just run away? What about the mothers who did not have mothers themselves, who long for a mother’s love that never came, whose mothers  left them, whose mothers never said ‘I love you”? What of them?  Don’t they deserve a flower too?

Of course.  Let’s give them all a flower, every woman.  Is the world short of flowers? It is only short of hands to present them. 





But most of these women need more than a flower. They need  a mother. 

Maybe that’s what we should be doing on Mother's Day.  Instead of giving each other flowers, maybe we should be giving each other mothers. 













Older women, look among the younger women. Who needs help? Younger women, look among yourselves and to those younger: who needs your ear or your arms?   




I’m not trying to ruin Mother’s  Day,  to heap yet more service upon women already overlooked and overworked.  I’m saying, take your flower and then look for someone who might need your  mother’s heart: a pure heart, a wise heart, a heart ready to love the motherless.    




No more debate and volleys about what pastors should and shouldn’t do this Sunday.   Give a flower to all. Be a mother to someone without one. 

As best you can.  

As God gives strength and love.

And He will. 



8 comments:

  1. My comments tend to be all the same: some variation of "your words move me deeply." And this post is no exception. What I need to think about is putting into action those feelings that stir in me as I read your words, so it is more than just a reading exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same for me, April. This cannot be simply a writing exercise for me. I must live it out myself (at least try) or just shut up. But thankfully there are MANY opportunities to mother the motherless, including a sweet dear woman who just entered my life. She has no one. I'm glad to be some one (a mother?) to her . ... April, give yourself an assignment. Look for a motherless woman or child this next week. When our eyes are open, we see them everywhere. (But--you only need one to reach out to . . .)

      Delete
    2. I work in a juvenile court where every single day I am around motherless women and children (in the sense that you use the word "motherless"), be they clients or coworkers. I try--we all try--to reach out with open arms.

      Delete
    3. Wow. Well, you know all about it. So glad you're there (though it must be super hard, every day). I'm sure your acts of mothering, large and small, have touched many, April. If wishes were real this moment, you would be receiving a huge bouquet of flowers from me right now.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, I was prepared to disagree completely with this post, based on the intro, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and read it anyway. :) I was thinking of my to friends who are childless mothers, their teenage children committed suicide. And of another dear friend whose child hasn't spoken to her in months. And of someone I love so much whose husband and child have had a falling out and she hasn't seen the child since August. And of the two young women in my church who have buried just-born babies this year. And of all the other grief and pain associated with motherhood for so many women. Many of them do not go to church on Mother's Day, because they don't know whether to stand up for their flower or not. Whether they're qualified. I have always, ALWAYS wanted the church just to honor all the women, because if we're a bible believing bunch, then we believe in Titus 2 and we believe that we should be "mothering" and "being mothered" all the time. So many broken women walk through my door, and so many of them need to understand the love of the Father, but cannot until they are loved by a mother. So, obviously, the post I thought I would hate, I totally love, and am so thankful that you posted it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie--thanks for persevering through the post! As I write this now, I am preparing a presentation on parenting myths---and asking the question--what is it all FOR? What are children here for?? My heart as a mother has been broken so many times---as every mother's heart has. And the tragedies you mention---oh my yes. What so many have borne. Unthinkable. But real. I am frustrated by how we have packaged motherhood--especially in the church. Lots of our heartache comes from wrong expectations. (I had to write a book about all that, the parenting myths book. And am still speaking about it.) But it's all fresh and real. And THANK YOU for listening and I know, adding your arms to mine and so many others this Mother's Day. To love the motherless, to love the hurting mothers around us. SO gratefully, Leslie

      Delete
  3. Leslie, thank you for writing so honestly and completely about what it means to mother and the need for mothering! Once childless, unable to conceive, my husband and I adopted three children from Russia, two now grown. Adoption is for EVERYONE! We ALL need to adopt and we ALL need to be adopted! We all need mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, daughters, sons. And when we can view others as part of God's family, it lightens the burden on the biological and allows God to provide every need we have from His abundance. I have been "adopting" my whole life and I have been "adopted" by many. Many have come under my wing and many have taken me under theirs. And my own biological mother? She died suddenly and unexpectedly on Mother's Day eleven years ago. My mother was one of the women God called me to mother and, in so doing, He healed both my mother and me. Our God is an amazing God, full of riches for those willing to receive--and for those willing to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather--this is an amazing story (and sad) about your mother. I would love to hear more about that .... and your experience adopting three children from Russia. Wow. Thanks for your encouragement to all of us to "adopt." It's a pretty regular practice here in Alaska where so many don't have family---but done much more casually than raising children 24/7. Thank you for sharing your own well-lived wisdom!

      Delete