Angelina Jolie's Mastectomy+The Burden of Our Neighbor's Glory



Two days after Mother’s Day we hear about Jolie’s double mastectomy. She did it for her children, writing in the now-famous NY Times article, “I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer. . . .And they know that I love them and will do anything to be with them as long as I can.”

My mother-flesh cringes at the procedure and her loss---but my fellow mother-of-six heart understands, and would likely do the same.

Who will not laud Jolie’s courage, and, if nothing else, at least her intent? Only those who have not felt the weight of their neighbor’s glory.




Our neighbor’s glory is heavy, and it presses upon us everywhere, even in the most joyous moments and places.
Last weekend, I felt its weight again. At my son’s college graduation, I nearly could not lift my chest for air, nor could the other thousand parents sitting in graduation finery beneath the California sky. The moment we all feared came at last: his name was read, and his parents walked slowly to the dais, took the offered diploma and stumbled down while we crumpled our programs under his absence. Just months before graduation he was killed in an accident near campus. We could hardly bear the weight of even the thought of such grief, but I saw prayers running down faces beside me, prayers pressed into clenched programs, prayers kneaded into tissues. Every one of us watching carried those parents across the stage.




There is more. The dignified woman calling each graduate’s name with such gravity and care, who had proudly handed diplomas to twenty classes, had just been diagnosed with a terminal illness, one of the most terrifying diseases known. This was her last graduation. We lifted her with our eyes and  helped her speak each name.  


And most of us knew that this year the woman’s basketball coach lost her husband to cancer just before the birth of their first child. She birthed her baby, and kept coaching the team, who became her neighbors, her family. (That women’s team, bonded in such loss and love, against every possible calculation of odds, went on to win a NAIA national title.)


Westmont College coach Kirsten Moore and daughter Alexis

This is our daily witness, is it not? Finality and commencement, beginning and ending, sorrow and celebration, risk and sacrifice lock hands over a diploma, a basketball, a surgeon’s knife. 




 We do it for the other. For the many others who live with us and beside us, our neighbors.





After the ceremony, later that day, we met our son and his 6 roommates and all their families at the beach and one hour later, we were building human pyramids in the sand. What a silly thing to do, I thought. What a California cliche, even as I laughed and snapped photos of these young men kneeling on their father’s backs.




 And then the fathers kneeling on their sons’ backs:





 And wait! The mothers were not forgotten. Then we too, pressed our knees into our sons’ backs and held steady in the sand for a moment.



I don ‘t know if we were just having fun---or if we were enacting something more that day.  I think maybe more. 

This is truly how we stand in this world: our knees pressed in the bodies of those who have gone before us, beneath us. Our childrens' knees in our own backs. The Bible talks about this as the “cloud of witnesses” whose words and lives hover over us and form the foundation beneath us.

These silly photos, then, are the truth of our lives. We neither stand nor kneel alone, no matter how much independence and self-reliance we claim, and I have claimed a lot. There are so many beneath us. So many noble, humble, simple, wise people. Even the ones who have hurt us, whose weight and knees have broken our backs, or whose substance has crumbled beneath us, we would not be ourselves without them. We would not be our limping but still kneeling selves without them. And we would not offer our backs to others without even them.

C.S. Lewis writes, “The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbor’s glory should be laid daily on my back; a load so heavy that only humility can carry it and the backs of the proud will be broken.”

“Only humility can carry it.”

“And the backs of the proud will be broken.”

I hope I can keep my place, steady. I hope I am not too heavy for those carrying me. I hope I am humble enough to hold strong for those I am bearing.  

I hope all these things for you as well. 

And while we get tired sometimes---yes, often, every day---the photos tell the fuller truth: 




Who is lighter than our children, for whom we would cut off even our flesh? 

Who is lighter than our neighbor?

Whose back and knees are not made exactly for this? 


23 comments:

  1. And I will read this again and again, Leslie...
    Exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ann . .. Blessings from the waters to the seas of soon-to-grow grain!!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful blog post... wiping the tears from my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only echo Ann and Lorraine's words. I woke this morning feeling the nearly unbearable weight of the things that are pressing in on so many of my family members. But to think of it in these terms and to know I don't ever bear anything alone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda---praying for you now, these words from the Psalms

      "Save us and help us with your right hand, that those you love may be delivered. .. "Look to the LORD and His strength; seek His face always."

      Praying you hope and strength today, Linda, no matter what comes. Your Father is still with you; your friends are with you; your children are with you. You are loved, admired and precious to so many. We are with you . ...

      Delete
  4. Timely ....timely words....the pictures just impress the words deeper into my heart....I am in a season of having some knees pressing deep into my back....learning more about being yoked with Him....thank you so much.....blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Blessed indeed, and hoping the weight you are carrying is lightened by knowing He carries it with you . . ..

      Delete
  5. So beautiful!

    What an image of delight and an image of pressing dreams and pressing love. A love that only He can completely give, yet He allows others to share in the giving.

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie. Indeed. Beautifully said. To be part of the giving---that IS joy.

      Delete
  6. Love this. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous prose! All three of our children, adopted from Russia, suffer from the permanent and debilitating effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol. Oh, how I wished I could have some part of myself cut away in exchange for their wholeness. But what is wholeness? In the eyes of the Lord, our children are already whole because they are wholly His. And their disabilities have taught me about my own--because we're all broken, aren't we? Our children have taught me how, when we rest in God and and His provision, He can take any kind of brokenness and make a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather----true words all. Yes, we are all partial, missing pieces, and in Christ we are all restored to wholeness. Thank you for this perspective!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Dale, (thank you). And thank you for being here. My knees are planted firmly on the gracious backs of my readers . ..)

      Delete
  9. Thank you. I love this. I cannot wait to meet you and work with you this summer. Vina

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post lifts my heart and my hands in prayer. Beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Leslie,

    I have tears streaming down my cheeks. This is such a profound post. There are so many carrying such heavy loads and we can not even guess who they are just by seeing them. Their bravery precludes any announcement of what is going on in their hearts/lives. Thank you for letting us peak inside the lives of people in your pinpoint in time and seeing the heroism in that one tiny spot. I just donated to the Poet's Corner at Westminster Abbey for a memorial plaque to be dedicated in memory of C.S. Lewis on the 50th anniversary of his death in November. His quote you used here underscores why he deserves such an honor.

    Dear Woman, I love everything about this post. God's blessing on you for writing it and sharing it with those of us who do not have the gift of prose. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this has entered the Holy of Holies~ I weep and press on ~ hold on
    Our God is faithful who has a future and a hope for His people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much, Susan. (And I love your moniker. I know something about fish as well!)

      Delete
  13. Dear D.S. (Sorry I don't know your name!)

    Thank you (humbly) so very much---and I dare not claim self-reliance for these words. Just reading in the gospel of John, that Jesus speaks his dependence upon God for EVERYTHING. This, one of my failings. But I know, no true words are written w/o Him.

    Good for you for contributing to that plaque for Lewis! Yay!

    And I ache with you for all those carrying such heavy loads . . . I hope we can help, beginning with prayer.

    Bless you. You have greatly blessed me. Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post, Leslie! Perfect metaphor--so gritty and spiritual and right. Peace to you--Vinita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vinita. I hope all is well with you---and your writing and editing are prospering!

      Delete