Coast Guard Rescues and Who Will Save Us From the Kitchen Wars?



This last week the winds bellowed, then stilled.  The sun emerged ..  and with it the Coast Guard helo, the ship that saves men and women from death in the icy waters all year round. It was a training day, the aircraft hovering over a point just across the bay from my house. It’s a familiar sound, the chop-chop reverberating across the water, the shredded air and sound hitting the cliff my house sits on and shuddering up through the windows, the walls.







  That ship has come for me at least once when I was lost, alone, on the sea in a blizzard (another story.) And it has come for members of my family far more than once. (Have we thanked them enough?)

The chopper hangs in the air with rescue swimmers poised at the door to leap into the still-troubled seas. They’ll be at it all day. We know these women and men as heroes. When we are battened down under the worse gales, they are the ones who leave the safety of the hangar to fly into blinding storms, to leap out of a bucking chopper to plunge through night air into a furious sea---that someone might be pulled alive from a sinking boat.

Their lives and stories are good enough for the movies. For television. For an entire television series.

Living under such a sky, where heroes hang literally outside my kitchen windows, where storms swirl and howl my own insignificance, I should always think profound and spiritual thoughts. But I don’t. I also live under a roof, in rooms with their own climate patterns. Rooms filled with people happy and grumpy, ecstatic and brooding. Every rooms gathers its own particular dust and dissonance, but the kitchen seems to be the special site for “He does/She does” dramas. I write and display them here because I have confidence in the universality of kitchen conflict, and in the hope that you will not think less of me for such humanness.   Here are the sites of skirmishes: (And do cast your vote!)  

DISHWASHER: Silverware up or down?








HE:  Up,  [they get cleaner because of the water action].
SHE: DOWN (they stay cleaner because you insert and remove them without putting your dirty hands on the eating end)


PANS: Stacked or “placed”?



HE: Neatly stacked in the cupboards in ascending order, which brings symmetry and rightness to the world (but also means a complete re-stacking every time you use them.)

SHE: “Placed” randomly and creatively, so that every time the cupboard is opened----surprise! Saves minutes every day. Even when they all tumble out. Simply lift, replace, and shut the cupboard firmly.



KITCHEN COUNTERS: For food or for paper?



HE:  For containing and organizing mail, bills, tools, the everyday detritus of life, all of which should be lined up, visible, and immediately available at all times.
SHE: For food preparation and dining only, please!!
 

TABLE SETTINGS: Full silverware or just what’s needed?



HE: Always full silverware regalia, regardless of any circumstances, mitigating or otherwise.

SHE:  Decisions made on an ad hoc basis. Company? Full wares. Wonderful homemade dinner? Full wares. Eating and running? Leaving on a trip? Trying to get to church on time without leaving a mess behind? Only the necessities.  



GREEN SALAD: Sinkers or floaters?



HE: Sinkers. Everything except the lettuce is chopped into perfect tiny squares, regardless of texture, assuring that every bite is modulated and organized (and assuring their sinkage to the bottom of the salad bowl.)

SHE: Floaters. Every vegetable is cut according to its kind. The cucumbers----sliced thin and wafery. Carrots, peeled into orange wisps, etc. assuring floatage and every bite a representative sample of all ingredients.


Oh, who will rescue us from the kitchen of this mess?
It already has been done. Here, after decades of marriage, in this place where we have chopped and sauted and fed and prayed and served our family and many guests, we are at it still. The parrying continues, in the kitchen and in other rooms, but I look out my windows over my (sometimes cluttered) counters and see them there---the presence of those ready to drop from the sky to save the drowning.




So like another rescuer, who has hovered over my sorry life and plunged in, pulling the exhausted from thrashing seas---and returning me and all of us to Life.   Again and again.  And He will not stop, even when we see nothing but roof and sky over our heads.


How do you fill your dishwasher and set your table? Do you know that hovering presence, and have you been pulled from the waters?





26 comments:

  1. I am a happy combination of the two of you. The one thing that makes me grind my teeth, though, is the paper "stuff" all over the counter and kitchen table. Inevitably, the minute I toss some of the scraps of paper into the trash it is exactly what he is looking for!
    Please tell the story of your rescue. I do so love a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--haa!! Yes, of course. That one piece of trash becomes the lottery ticket!! I do tell that story in "Surviving the Island of Grace." But I may tell it here ....

      Delete
  2. I also seem to be a combo of both approaches, mixed perfectly by the Master's hand, as are you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, I can only hope!! It is true indeed that a helo brings perspective---and however unlikely, the grace to live in peace.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have preferences and being widowed now I don't have someone to argue the differences with, but it's fun to think of how it used to be and how God willing it will be again some day, and to weigh in on the conversation, I can definitely see both sides of the coin, but I tend to side with you Leslie on the silverware and the setting of the table and the mess of papers on the counters and the pans. Thanks for sharing your stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim!! It's meant to be in fun . .. The truth is we DO have these differences, and were it not the for Lord, they could really get out of hand! But grace helps us keep our perspective. Thanks for being here with us!

      Delete
  5. I don't think we've ever eaten at a table set as beautifully as the one in the picture! My poor family. I'll have to pull out all the silverware at least once, just to freak everyone out! And, I'm almost ashamed to admit...I'm the paper piler in our family. If my piles are disrupted, I'm lost! There's just nothing that says all is right and well like properly placed piles of paper.

    So thankful to have indeed been pulled from the waters by the Rescuer. Beautiful analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarisaa---it's been so fun (and enlightening)to see where everybody lands on these. It's often not what we might guess!(And my table is not always set that pretty---believe me!) But yes, pulled from the waters---and from the kitchen wars. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. I don't recall past battles on up or down silverware, but plenty of discussions on over-the-roll vs behind it re toilet paper. Over of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!! That's a new one for our house!! Hmmm, should I introduce it?? Nah, I'd better not add another front ... But somehow we get through it--and they grow up and it doesn't matter anymore!!

      Delete
  7. It's lovely to see our differences becoming less of a gale-storm and more of a passing request for change and quick apology. One recent example was the matter of dirty dishes. HE: stack them all in the sink for clear table and counters; SHE: stack them beside the sink on the counter so I can actually get to the faucet to wash them! ... Please... Okay ... Thank you ... No Problem ... *kiss* ... It feels sunnier in my kitchen this decade of marriage, and that is a gift for which I'm so grateful. It helps me to be able to look outside at the real despair and pray or act ... and hopefully both. Thank You for perspective today, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, what a great report! I have found the same. As the years and decades pass, we are so much graceful toward one another. (Maybe we're growing up??) It helps keep the focus where it belongs, just as you say. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I love all the "kitchen wars." My husband and I didn't really argue over these things, mostly whoever was doing them, did them their way. So...I prefer eating end up on the utensils and pans stacked in order, but the rest I'd have to go with Leslie.
    And yes, I've been rescued more than once from the dangerous waters by my Lifeguard, who is always on guard. Thank you, Lord.
    PS. I've seen the Alaskan helicopter series on the Weather Channel. Now I know someone who lives there, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Birdie! Oh, the times we've been hauled out by our collar from the waters! SO thankful! And thanks for weighing in on the fun. (Shall I tally the results and see if they sway a skirmish or two??)

      Delete
  9. We watch Coast Guard Alaska every week--my husband's a private pilot and we love Alaska (making our fourth trip up this summer)

    As to the kitchen skirmishes: Forks up, knives down. Forks up because we have a lower sprayer arm and the prongs poke through the basket and jam the arm if the tines are down. Knives down to prevent cuts.

    Pans-stacking is too much work. So, I side with you on that one.

    Kitchen counter-on going battle between paper and clean. He & She prefer clean, kids prefer it as a holding station. never ending struggle.

    Silverware--I'm with Leslie. Use only what you need/ the situation calls for. Why waste time taking out/putting away silverware you know you aren't going to use? :) And I'm really against the more than one type of utensil, ever. One of each, please.

    Salad-no issues since no one here really likes it, so we don't eat it. :0


    We know the life presence, but currently our helicopter has hit bingo fuel and hasn't returned to haul us out yet. :) Much tossing going on at our house and no signs of it letting up any time soon. Rogue wave hit last night--quite the slap it was. Calm waters can return any time now, I won't complain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bah. meant to sign as Cheryl Russell.

      Delete
    2. Cheryl---thanks for the weigh-in and low-down on the skirmishes there! (I hear you on the rogue wave. We just had one hit yesterday . ...) Real life. Calls for a real Savior. May you KNOW and experience His presence and peace today, friend!

      Delete
  10. This made me laugh...I can relate...me...more like you...but I will say....over all these years we have melded more together...the differences are so pronounced or we just don't notice as much...that is the benifit of age :) and yes....I am so thankful for recuse Helios.....God has pulled me out of the pit many times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your writing style and how you link to seemingly unconnected topics together. You really pull me in!

    Silverware goes up for cleaning purposes (otherwise the spoons nest together and the gunk does not come off). Although I have trained my children not to put their fingers on the ends of the utensils as they are unloading.

    Hubby doesn't care as long as he isn't the one loading or unloading. ;-)

    http://inthemidstof.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb,

      Thanks so much! I may be slowly won over to the silverware up side . .. hmmm, thinking about it. A pretty radical change ... One of the great joys of writing here is just that--pulling threads together. It works because God himself is so interwoven through the trivial and the vast. Blessings Barb!

      Delete
  12. The 'gold standard' for cleaning in commercial kitchens is to run flatware twice - first time flat to get the eating surface clean, then a second time in cylinders with the 'business end' up. Then it can be easily flipped to another cylinder with handles up.

    At home, we load knives tip down, everything else up, pull the basket out when they're clean and empty it onto a clean counter & then pluck them up & pop them in the drawer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, Well, I kinda dabble in the gold . ...I wash the silverware first before I set them in (down!). But it's been good to discuss these earthshaking matters---I may be converted on the silverware!! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  13. I so love this post! And those kitchen wars? Yeah, in the middle of them, at least in my spirit more often than I wish. After 47 years of this, it still rears its ugly head. I find myself with you on the last three (Especially the covering of every-available-surface-with-reading-material-which-drives-me-absolutely-bonkers) but with your husband on the first two - silver ware up for better cleaning and pans stacked for more room and less confusion. So that makes me a house divided! (Although the score is 3-2 in your favor, I guess. Solidarity!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana! Yeah, you're ten years ahead of me in marriage. I wonder when it's just my husband and I how we'll work these things out. Hopefully with grace and laughter---and maybe compromise (okay--I give on the silverware and pans--and you give on the others!) We'll see. We do seem to mellow as the years pass--which gives hope! Thanks much for joining me here! (I'll be in your beautiful neighborhood in May for my son's graduation from Westmont.)

      Delete
    2. Yes, mellowing does happen. Although we can still bicker with the best of 'em at times. We will be gone during Westmont's graduation this year and I hope you have glorious weather for it. It usually is pretty grand, but there have been a few years when it is either blisteringly hot . . . or it rains. Neither is ideal, but the festivities happen with flair anyhow. Before I retired, I worked part time as Associate Pastor at the church just down the hill from the college and a good number of faculty/staff and students attend. And my son and daughter-in-law graduated from there and both practice medicine in town, so we have lots of good connections. Enjoy your time here!

      Delete