Eating Worms and Going Blind in Kodiak


“It is not miserable to be blind; it is miserable to be incapable of enduring blindness.” -John Milton



I ate a worm this week. Actually two (crunchy), and two crickets (ranch flavored), and a chocolate covered grasshopper (sweet and crunchy). I downed them in the name of science.  A red-haired cuter-than-a-mini-muffin boy in my son’s class did a science project on edible insects---of course I’ll try them! (But—caution: take off the cricket’s wings before you chomp. They get stuck in your throat.)


Another newsworthy event—the sun shone for a good part of three days this week. To celebrate, I hiked up a snowy mountain in an icy, breath-charging wind, loving every step. The sun was so blinding I squinted through my sunglasses, agape at the colors of this winter world, too often cloaked in gray, rain and squall. 

We had all been feeling the layered weight of five months of winter---knowing at least two more remains. By some measures, three. A friend writes on facebook, “I’m so tired of the dark and cold!” 





My favorite winter story is about one of my sons, Isaac, who was then 2 ½. We were at the airport, taking my husband to his flight. We got out of the car, I lifted Isaac up to my hip to walk through the slush to the terminal. He kept looking upward, fussing, pointing and covering his eyes. Finally I said, “Isaac, what’s wrong?” 

“Wh—wh—what is that yellow thing up in the sky?” he asked, distressed, eyes batting.  

I stopped, stunned. Then, “That’s the sun, Isaac. The sun. It won’t hurt you,” I sighed as I tilted my face to its wan glow.


The weather and the dark can blind us. And it often does. But so can the sun. John Milton slowly went blind, beginning to lose his sight in his early thirties. By the time he wrote Paradise Lost, one of the most magisterial works in the English language, he was completely blind.  



In his “Sonnet on his Blindness,” Milton laments the tension he lives within: God has given him “that one talent, which is death to hide”---his extraordinary facility with language and poetry. And God has brought as well the loss of his sight. He asks a question that has rung through the centuries, “Does God exact day-labour, light denied?”  (How can God expect me to labor for Him, when he takes away what is needed to perform it?)   

We ask this question too, in our own way, within the lines of our own lives:

Why did God create us to need sun and warmth, and then send most of us into winter half the year?

Why was I given a child, whom I have always loved, who yet does not love me? 

How can God give me such a passion for music---with no money for lessons or help?


Why did God plant the longing for eternity in bodies that will soon wither and die?

The questions blind us. I can't figure them out. But Milton’s poem ends, as all sonnets must. And it ends with this resolution. Though God does not need our labor at all, still, "thousands at his bidding, speed and post o'er land and ocean without rest" to do His will.  But there are others of us who cannot move or even see. What of us? "They also serve who only stand and wait."             









We are all of us blind in some way. Yet we are not done. God sees us stumbling, He sees us waiting in the dark. We can serve Him by simply waiting in the dark. And yet---listen! Here is the great irony of the poem.  

Milton has done far more than simply "stand and wait." Even in his blindness, he has written a breath-stealing sonnet. A sonnet, mind you! The most rigid poetic form possible.  And a sonnet that is considered one of the finest poems ever written. 


What does this have to do with you and me? Even in your present darkness, you are still standing. And, likely, you are still serving. Still picking up kids, still fixing dinner, still balancing a budget, still looking for God in the calm and in the riot. (And maybe trying a cricket or a worm here and there.)  There's enough light, still, in the midst of the questions to do good  work.  


I’ve seen some of your labor: the writing, the platters of lemon bars, the children, the photographs, the poems, the dresses, the prayers  . .  .   And we do this half-blind! 

There is yet enough light to serve Him.  


Don’t stop.  

And listen---more light is coming. 

Very Soon.




11 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog posts.
    You are much braver than me - eating worms and hiking up mountains.
    I'll have to look into "Paradise Lost."
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. barb---it was a good week! Paradise Lost is an epic book-length poem that retells the Fall. It's pretty hard going, because the language is so compressed, and it was written in 1667, but it's considered one of the great classics. I think his sonnets are an easier way to begin Milton.
      Thanks for reading, Barb! May the winter sun shine brightly today over your house!

      Delete
  2. I began my day begging for light - to find the right way to go. Your words are so filled with wisdom and encouragement Leslie. I have enough light to do what He has given me to do this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda---who else does this but God? How He does this, I do not know---takes our poor small words (and truly, I mean this!) and uses them to accomplish His purposes. SO grateful to our God, grateful to you. May the work of your hands bring light to others today, Linda.

      Delete
  3. Well, then. Ann V. has introduced me to yet another treasure. Whenever cynicism starts to creep into my soul, one of the best cures I know is to recall how many beautiful souls there are on this planet, living, working, and sharing their lives to God's glory. In the words of Psalm 16:3, "As for the saints who are in the earth, They are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight."

    Pleased to meet you, majestic one.
    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post touched my heart in deep ways. Thank you for serving Him, whole-heartedly. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for being with us here! Blessed by your presence!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much - for these words and the post at Ann's. Yes - enough light to serve Him. And yes - loving my crooked neighbor with my crooked heart.

    "we can drown in our own salt tears — or we can love one another more. I choose more."

    me too

    love in Christ from Nebraska,
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie, for joining me in this as well! We can't do it alone . . . .

      Delete
  6. I discovered your blog when my daughter read me this post while we were car bound together. I had her send me the link. When I got home I read through several more with the same reaction.

    Simply beautiful. Your words and thoughts are a delight to my soul. Thank you. I hope to be a regular visitor.

    Stephanie Kane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie---Thanks so much for joining us here! I so appreciate you reading and entering the conversation. I hope to encourage both of us onward---and Godward!! (And so glad I am not alone) Leslie

      Delete